Why Oddo Design for Website Customization
Whether you consciously chose WordPress to manage your website or not, you’re in good company. It is flexible, scalable, well-supported, and relatively easy to use. Individuals, small companies, and many Fortune 500 companies depend on it.
Likewise, you’ll find web designers and developers at all levels of competency and experience— especially within the WordPress ecosystem, and it’s critically important to recognize their differences.
Many rely heavily on predesigned templates (WordPress themes). Others, like Oddo Design, usually custom-build them from scratch (for the most part).
This is not to suggest that all predesigned WordPress themes (and those who build websites with them) are inferior. What matters most is the extent to which these themes are customized to suit your needs, and whether the firm you hired can actually do the necessary work.
To the novice web designer, customizing your website means knowing how to:
- Add a logo
- Copy/paste text
- Change a color
- Upload an image
- Change menu labels/links
- And so on
To Oddo Design, it means asking the right questions to better understand what you want to accomplish— for all but the simplest of modifications— and having the ability to deliver. Some of the questions Oddo Design may ask include:
- Who is your target audience?
- What are your key differentiators?
- What are key benefits and features?
- What are your calls to action?
- What are your success metrics?
- What tools will be used for web analytics?
- And so on
Oddo Design deliverables might include:
- A newly designed logo that communicates effectively with your audience
- A visually prioritized, mobile-friendly page layout that encourages visitors to take action
- A hierarchy of headings, subheadings, body text, and other weighted typographical elements to improve readability and search engine optimization
- A brand- and usability-compliant color palette that is aesthetically pleasing and easy on the eyes
- High-resolution images that load quickly and work nicely as a group (similar in color, size, and cropping)
- Menus and navigational elements that are intuitively labeled, categorized, and again, mobile-friendly
- New technical features and enhancements that improve the user experience for visitors and your organization
- And so on
See the difference?
Yes, Oddo Design also takes on the simplest of tasks with far less requirements gathering— and, in a time- and cost-efficient manner. But sometimes you’ll need more than an assembler to help you succeed.
Clients with existing websites also hire Oddo Design to add functionality and/or resolve technical issues. Examples:
- Advanced submission forms
- CRM integration (AgileCRM, Insightly, Zoho CRM, etc.)
- CSS3/HTML5/PHP/jQuery coding
- Custom page templates with custom fields
- Custom post types and plugins
- Debugging and troubleshooting
- Email integration (AWeber, Emma, Mailchimp, etc.)
- Mobile-friendly website conversions (responsive retrofit)
- Payment integration (Authorize.Net, Freshbooks, PayPal, Stripe, etc.)
- Plugin configuration, troubleshooting, and customization
- Search engine optimization
- Speed optimization
Oddo Design’s Website Customization Process
When working on a website that was not designed/developed Oddo Design, a determination must be made as to how well (or how poorly) your website was originally coded and underlying issues you may be unaware of need to be exposed— issues that can make the customization process far more time-consuming and expensive than it should be.